Skip to content

Bridgestone Project: The Build

February 8, 2012

The final tally is in. Amazingly, I scraped by with $5 to spare from my original set budget. How did I manage to do so well? Hours spent watching the Price is Right? Sorcery? Plain old self awesomeness? Or did I just cheat?

Well, I wouldn’t call it cheating per se. But rather, it was fuzzy math or creative manipulation. I only counted one new tire. The other was purchased two days before I committed to the project so that one doesn’t count. Right? I also didn’t include the bike computer, water bottle holder, or frame pump that will eventually be added because these are “accessories” and not integral to making the bike move. Panniers and bags were deleted from my budget because these would make great presents later on. And who am I to take those gift ideas away from friends and families?

20120207-143041.jpg

Once all boxes arrived I began the disassembly and cleaning of the Bridgestone. For someone as OCD as myself this step is very satisfying and very time consuming. In addition to my usual cleaning friends Simple Green and Bar Keeper’s Friend, I also tried Turtle Wax polish to buff out scratches. Meh, it was ok but maybe not worth the effort. I also read that Pledge could be used to get a good shine and protective layer. This, I liked better. Smells good too. Sort of.

20120207-142014.jpg

By the end of the day (and 6 Battlestar Galactica episodes later), I made a thorough mess of my living room. But, I was also ready to reassemble the bike. This being my last foreseeable bike project for awhile, I took my time piecing everything together. Why rush it.

20120207-142505.jpg
The major modifications were being done around the handlebars. In addition to bar end shifters, I was also adding interrupter and new brake levers. It was critical that the cable housing and brake system were positioned just right. You know how the saying goes: measure seventy-five times, cut once.

20120207-142536.jpg
Towards the end of the project I realized I was missing a couple of nuts. I tore the house apart, dumping out old boxes and digging through garbage. Unfortunately, I think my crew chief may have misplaced them in her digestive track.

20120207-143221.jpg

I wrapped up the project earlier this week (although there will always be more work to be done) and was very pleased with the results. I’ll post pictures (taken with an actual camera!) this Friday.

Advertisements
One Comment leave one →
  1. February 8, 2012 11:33 pm

    oh…poor Raven…eating nuts and bolts! Nice idea and hints for presents from friends and family. Good job!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: